You can allow students to like replies in a Discussion. If a Discussion allows liking, users will see a Like icon within each discussion reply. By default, liking is available to all users in the course; however, you can choose to restrict the option to Graders only.
The Like icon is only available in Discussions and is enabled on a per-discussion basis.
In Course Navigation, click the Discussions link.
Click the Add Discussion button.
Create your discussion by utilizing the following options:
- Enter your topic title in the topic title field.
- Use the Rich Content Editor to format your discussion’s content.
- Allow liking by clicking the Allow liking
Set Liking Options
You can also select two additional options when allowing Discussion Likes.
- Only graders can like : Select this checkbox if you want to limit the liking functionality only to graders of the Course, which means only users with the Edit Grades permission can see the Like link. However, all users will still see the total number of likes for each reply.
- Sort by likes : Select this checkbox if you want the Discussion to sort replies by the number of likes. Sorting cannot be changed by any users unless you remove the sorting setting. This option may take at least 10 seconds to view sorting appropriately.
Save and Publish
If you are ready to publish your discussion, click the Save & Publish button . If you want to create a draft of your discussion and publish it later, click the Save button .
When your discussion is saved in a draft state, you can return to the page and publish it at any time by clicking the Publish button.
When liking is enabled for a Discussion, users will see a Like icon within each discussion reply. For each individual user, a gray icon indicates the reply can be liked, while a blue icon indicates the reply has already been liked. Liked replies include the total number of likes next to the link.
If liking is restricted to graders only, only users with grading permissions can see the Like icon. However, all users will still see the total number of likes for each reply.